Important Information for the Upcoming Year – 2021-2022
Rehearsals will be held Monday evenings at Vance Memorial Presbyterian Church in Wheeling beginning at 7 p.m.
Please know that we are taking all necessary measures to adhere to West Virginia’s health and safety guidelines. The following plan has been developed to ensure you and your student are safe.
The following safety guidelines will apply to rehearsals and performances.
- Masks will be required at rehearsals and in-person gatherings until otherwise indicated by the WSYO team
- Prior to rehearsal, students, staff and volunteers are encouraged to ask themselves following questions:
- Have you or has anyone in your home had contact within the last fourteen days with any person under screening/testing for COVID-19, or with anyone with known or suspected COVID-19?
- Do you currently have any of the following symptoms?
- Fever (100.4°F or higher), or a sense of having a fever.
- New cough that you cannot attribute to another health condition.
- New shortness of breath that you cannot attribute to another health condition.
- New sore throat that you cannot attribute to another health condition.
- New muscle aches (myalgias) that you cannot attribute to another health condition, or that may have been caused by a specific activity (such as physical exercise).
- If the student, staff member or volunteer answers YES to any of the screening questions, they will be excused from the rehearsal and may not participate.
3. Students who are not able to rehearse due to illness will not be penalized
4. Instrument sections will alternate weeks to allow for proper social distancing. We will continue with this schedule until November when full rehearsals will take place with all students in each ensemble. The Philharmonic and Sinfonietta will operate on opposite schedules to accommodate any student who wishes to perform in both groups.
a. PHILHARMONIC PLAN
i. Violins will meet the first and third Mondays of the month.
ii. Violas, cellos, and basses will meet the second and fourth Mondays of the month.
b. SINFONIETTA PLAN
i. Violas, cellos, and basses will meet the first and third Mondays of the month.
ii. Violins will meet the second and fourth Mondays of the month.
5. WSYO staff will provide hand sanitizer at each rehearsal and will sanitize each music stand at the end of the evening; students will not share music stands or other equipment.
6. The first rehearsal will be held Monday, September 13.
7. Parent meetings will be held in September, November, January, and April on Zoom. The first meeting will be held Tuesday, September 14, at 7 p.m. A link will be sent in advance of the meeting. During this time, we will address any questions and review information about fundraisers.
8. If any parent is interested in joining the WSYO Steering Committee, please contact us.
9. Please visit this link www.wheelingsymphony.com/youthorchestra to download the student information forms.
a. Forms MUST be completed and returned on or before Monday, September 20, either with your student or scanned and emailed to Lbaker@wheelingsymphony.com.
b. We require contact information for each student so we can update you should any sudden changes occur with government guidelines.
Information about the Winter Concert will be provided at a later date.
Bluegrass BBQ Fundraiser
The WSYO’s annual Bluegrass BBQ fundraiser is scheduled for September 26, at Oglebay’s Hess Shelter
Tickets for adults are $25 and students are $10. A postcard is included with event details.
A basket raffle will be held during the event. If you would like to donate a basket or items to be included in a basket, please email Lauren Baker at Lbaker@wheelingsymphony.com
CALLING ALL ALUMNI!
We are compiling a list of WSYO and OVations alumni, and we want to hear from you! Let us know when you were a member and what instrument you played. You can email us at email@example.com.