The Wheeling Symphony Society, Inc., serves the residents of our communities by providing excellent orchestral programs which entertain, educate and enhance the quality of life. For 91 years the WSO has provided live classical and pops music to the Upper Ohio Valley and throughout West Virginia. Top professional musicians from West Virginia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and national soloists provide quality musical experiences for audiences of all ages. The WSO is a group 5 orchestra and is a member of the League of American Orchestras.
The Wheeling Symphony Orchestra leadership believes fully in the artistic vision from new Music Director John Devlin. We encourage you to read his article on Everything Conducting about his current and future vision for the WSO.
Position: Assistant Conductor
Overseen by: Music Director
Works with: Orchestra musicians, guest artists, technical/production staff, administration and board
Statement of the Job: The WSO Assistant Conductor serves as the primary artistic support staff to the Music Director in all rehearsals and concerts during the WSO season. The Assistant Conductor will be overseen by the Music Director and will work with all members of the WSO community.
Essential functions: Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Attending and assisting the Music Director with the musical preparation of the orchestra at all rehearsals and concerts
- Conducting opportunities as assigned
- Assisting in all necessary concert production elements, such as lighting, positioning of performers, balance, off-stage conducting or cue-calling, and others
- Communicating as a spokesperson with various stakeholders associated with the WSO
- Attending WSO events as assigned and assisting the Music Director in performance of his/her responsibilities
- Serving as a liaison with guest artists and assisting with guest-artist rehearsals
- Assisting with programming and artistic project development
Candidates should demonstrate:
- Excellent musicianship and conducting skills
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, both written and oral
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse team of artistic staff, administration, board and community members
- Ability to communicate effectively with multiple constituent groups, including the general public, partner organizations, guest artists, donors, etc.
- Ability to embrace, embody, and reflect the values of the WSO
For a full job description click –> here
- Annual salary $4500
- Housing and transportation, upon need. Candidates should live within driving distance of Wheeling, WV
- Candidates should be available for the WSO’s 2021-22 rehearsal and concert schedule click –> here
- CV or Resume
- Cover Letter
- Cover letter should include mailing address, email address, and phone number
- List of 3 references with complete contact information
- Links to online videos
- There are no strict video requirements, please submit your best materials
Deadline for submissions: Friday, August 13th, 2021
How to apply: Electronically, by sending an email to email@example.com and attaching the required documents. Finalists will be contacted after the closing date with information about next steps.
An in-person audition will be held in Wheeling, WV on September 9, 2021. Candidates must be available on this date.
The repertoire for the audition is below. Finalists will be sent needed scores. Candidates will be asked to conduct through and rehearse committee-requested selections from the following works:
Chevalier de Saint-Georges (arr. Michael Ellis Ingram): Violin Concerto in C op. 3/2
Rachel Stegeman, WSO Concertmaster as Soloist
Shostakovich (arr. Drew): String Quartet no. 8 arranged for String Orchestra
II. Allegro molto
Caroline Shaw: Entr’acte
Wheeling Symphony Orchestra is an equal opportunity employer. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
Wheeling Symphony Orchestra seeks a broad spectrum of employees and is strongly committed to a diverse, inclusive, and equitable work environment. We strongly encourage Black, Indigenous, and people of color – as well as members of underrepresented groups – to apply.